Synchronizing your Hotmail messages, contacts and calendar is getting easier, for example when using iPhone. Windows Live Hotmail is now compatible with the Exchange ActiveSync standard. Until now, you had to use mobile Safari together with the Hotmail website for reading and writing e-mails and accessing your contacts and calendar. Now, make use of the native iPhone Mail, Contacts and Calendar Apps.
Set up Exchange ActiveSync in iPhone
- On your SpringBoard, tap Settings.
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap the Microsoft Exchange logo.
- Fill the fields as follows:
- E-mail: <Your Windows Live ID = Hotmail address>
- Domain: (leave this field blank)
- User name: <Your Windows Live ID = Hotmail address>
- Password: <Your Windows Live password>
- Description: (doesn’t matter; my suggestion: enter your Windows Live ID or the word “Hotmail”)
- Use SSL: I = enable
- Tap the Next button.
- iPhone might ask you whether you want to trust the certificate. If so, confirm this.
- An additional Server field appears. Enter m.hotmail.com.
- Finally, choose to synchronize all three items: Mail, Contacts and Calendar.
- Each time, iPhone asks you whether to delete or keep your existing iPhone contacts. Choose your answer carefully, based on your personal needs.
Done! Now press the Home button to return to your SpringBoard, then tap the Mail icon in the dock. When you receive new mail, your iPhone will vibrate. You can always check the number of unread mail in your inbox in a red balloon appearing on the Mail icon.