Tuning your computer does not always lead to the desired result. Sometimes, your computer has more problems after tuning than it had before. For example, wrong tuning measures can cause that programs do not start anymore but you only see the error message “Data Execution Prevention.” Use the following work-around to launch the program nevertheless.
- To correct the error in Windows XP, click Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System.
- In Windows Vista and Windows 7, press the keyboard shortcut Win + Pause, and click Advanced system settings.
- Then, in the Performance section, click Settings, then Data Execution Prevention.
- In the appearing dialog, select the option Enable Data Execution Prevention only for necessary Windows programs and services.
- Click OK until all windows are closed.
Now the programs causing trouble before can be launched again without error message.