Windows adds a small rounded arrow to shortcuts, so they look different from normal files. For beginners a useful feature. Professionals can omit the arrow and disable it with the following trick.
- Open Registry Editor by pressing [Windows]+[R] and entering regedit.
- In the left view, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/lnkfile.
- In the right view, right-click the entry IsShortcut, then Rename.
- Enter the new name AriochIsShortcut and confirm by clicking OK.
- Reboot your computer. From then on, Windows 7 (and Vista, too!) displays shortcuts without their arrows.